Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The Art of the Start - by Guy Kawasaki

Thanks to Marty for the recommendation


A little over a week ago, I wrote an entry about the books I intend to read for 2005. Almost immediately, I received a recommendation from Marty, stating only "Try The Art of the Startby Guy Kawasaki." After a little online research (on amazon.com) I decided this is definitely a book I wanted to get my hands on.

Three nights ago I was at a Barnes & Noble in Topeka, and I decided to buy the book. $26.95. Ouch!

It was worth every penny! Guy used to be the Evangelist for the Macintosh department of Apple *. And when it comes to entrepreneurship, this man knows what he's talking about.

The book leads the reader step by step through design, implementation, pitching, funding, and a host of other necessary processes. Guy also includes mini-assignments, reality checks, and FAQs to get to the real heart of what's important and what's wasting your time and money. And an amazing quantity of the book was directly transferrable to starting new churches or other not-for-profits.

After reading the book, I believe there is no exaggeration in the subtitle: "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything".

While this book doesn't actually fulfill one of my (self-imposed) 2005 reading requirements (I was looking for Entrepreneur Biographies), it has certainly added value to my life, and will serve as the perfect reference foundation for the rest of this year's entrepreneurship reading.

Thanks again, Marty!

--------------------
*Note of Disclosure: I own two Macs and I love them.

No comments: